Sunday, March 8, 2009

American Craft Council Show: Fiber Focus: Part 4


The final post in our series will focus on two of our friends who had booths on the main floor of the show. They both make bags, although the materials they use are very different. Today we'll again exercise some stretching of the "fiber" rule- starting with Caitlin of Rebound Designs. Caitlin removes the pages of old books (books-made of paper, paper- made of trees, trees=fibrous, yes?), then turns the remaining spine and cover into a purse- and for this show, she came up with what I think was a genius idea- she used some of the pages from those book centers to cover the metal armature of her booth display! Check it out!


All that punching took a long time, but the results were so cool! She sewed the pieces together, then used little magnets to hold it all up. I think I might be more excited about this than Caitlin was, but I am strange that way. She looks pretty happy, though, don't you think?




Next, we have our superhero and fellow mafioso, Ali Dryer of pistol stitched. She became my personal superhero when she agreed to hold onto our stuff, so we didn't have to lug it all over the place with us. She should be your personal superhero because she makes the most exquisite bags known to us. I mean, really. Check her out:


I love this picture, for so many reasons. Another of Ali's superpowers is making her bag handles herself. I'm still pretty sure that she can fight crime with her work, I'm just not exactly sure how yet. I'll keep you posted.

And with Ali, our tour has reached its end. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have!

1 comment:

Red Prairie Press said...

how did i get in so many photos?
great posts heather!