Sunday, November 27, 2011

Meet Holiday Heap Vendor, Catherinette by Katie Stack



List your shop name and give a brief description of your work and process.

My name is Katie Stack and I am the owner and maker of Catherinette by Katie Stack. Because my pieces are made of cast off remnants from the garment and accessory industry (and therefore the pieces I get are sometimes odd shapes and very small pieces) I often have to stare at a piece of leather for a few days before I am ready to cut into it.

Where do you find inspiration?

When I am deciding what I want to make I think of my own life as a person who commutes for 3+ hours a day to my day job is as a costume craftsperson and milliner for a large Shakespeare theatre. I ask myself what might make that commute easier and a little more fashionable? can I fit a book, a laptop, and a bottle of water into that bag? Will this look nice as a wallet and a clutch bag? Would I carry that bag for more than one season? Since I am often surrounded at my day job with European military research many of my designs reference those classic and utilitarian details- nice topstitching, riveted corners, double buckles, an open body of the bag so it can be used for many purposes etc.

Do you have anything new that shoppers can look forward to?

This season I am working on pieces that are affordable (around $20-$40), useful- belt clips for transit cards, different wallet styles, and fun! No one has a ton of expendable income right now, so I think it is nice to spend that money on something that will make you smile.

Other than Holiday Heap, where can we find you for purchases?

My work can be found in a few locations. Most notably on etsy.com at
www.Catherinette.etsy.com at ArtSpring in Takoma Park and at www.Lovefeasttable.com

No comments: